HAMPI Products are based on a simple yet brilliant idea: using naturally shed palm bark to create a wide range of natural designed disposable tableware. The palm bark is heat pressed into the right shape and size, without using any toxic chemicals or waxes in the process, resulting in a 100% natural and compostable palm leaf plate. The technique was developed in South of India, where circular living is a natural way of life, a lifestyle we think everyone should adopt. What we mean with "a Hampi state of mind" is to enjoy life, while limiting your waste and reducing your environmental footprint. Our natural leaf plates are a perfect example of this philosophy. After use you can simply throw them away, but make sure it's either in a bin or a compost heap!
FROM WASTE TO DESIGN IN 10 STEPS
1. The Areca Palm tree sheds its leaves around seven times a year
2. These are collected from the ground by our local colleagues
3. Using only the wooden part of the leaf, the green part is left on the ground as nutrition for the soil
4. The collected leaves are dried in the sun for a couple of days
5. Then to be transported to our production facilities
6. Where they are thoroughly washed and cut for production
7. After heat pressing and cutting the leaves into shape by hydraulic or manually operated machines
8. The finished plates are brushed and cleaned
9. At the end of the process, every palm plate has to pass 10 different quality tests
10. The approved plates are packed and ready for transport
A compostable product will naturally biodegrade back into its natural elements within a limited time frame. The residual material that remains can be used as natural fertilizer or as a source of energy. Besides, we find it very important that our fully compostable disposable tableware meets all health requirements for consumption and contact with food. Our tableware can simply be thrown into the green waste bin or compost to be completely degraded by nature. Are you a gardener? These natural materials can be used again in the spring as compost for the garden and complete the circle.